An SB 1437 Lawyer in Buena Park CA Can Help Reduce Felony Murder Sentences
For people who have been sentenced to life without the possibility of parole, death, or decades in prison, the recent changes to felony murder laws may seem too good to be true. We are here to tell you that this is not true: They are very real. If you have been sentenced under felony murder laws then you should contact an SB 1437 lawyer in Buena Park CA right away to find out what your options are. You can reach Chambers Law Firm at 714-760-4088 for a free legal consultation.
There Are 4 New Criteria for Conviction of Felony Murder
Under the new law, a person can only be guilty under the felony murder law if one of the following four factors are true:
- They actually killed a person.
- They acted with intent to kill. For example, they helped or encouraged the killer.
- They were a major participant in the crime and acted with reckless indifference to human life.
- The murder victim was an on-duty police officer and the defendant knew (or reasonably should have known) that they were a police officer.
The court will likely consider a number of factors to determine if the person in question was a “major participant” in the crime, including their role in planning the crime, in supply weapons, and how aware they were of the dangers of the crime, for example the weapons used.
There Are Three Reasons it is Hard to Predict the Long-Term Effect of SB 1437
Many people ask us: Just how many people will be freed or see significant sentence reductions due to this change in the law? The answer is that it depends. We are looking at three different reasons that making a prediction is hard:
- We do not know how many people will reach out to an SB 1437 lawyer in Buena Park CA to put the process in motion.
- We do not know how many people have been sentenced under felony murder law in California due to the lack of detailed records.
- We do not know how the courts will decide on certain aspects of these cases because the law is so new.
All of this points to one reality: You should call for help and advice sooner rather than later. It is our hope that everyone who is eligible will apply to have their sentence adjusted but this is unlikely.
Are You Ready to Learn More? Call for a Free Consultation with an SB 1437 Lawyer in Buena Park CA
This is a process that will take some time. This should dissuade anyone from taking the necessary steps to get the process started, but it should encourage them to contact an SB 1437 lawyer in Buena Park CA sooner rather than later. You can reach Chambers Law Firm at 714-760-4088 to request a free initial consultation. We are standing by to assess your case and give you the legal advice you need.