What Are Your Options? Ask an SB 1437 Lawyer in Fullerton CA
If you have heard of the recent changes to the felony murder law in California, and you or a loved one has been convicted and sentenced according to it, then you may wonder: What are your options? The best way to get a direct answer to your specific questions is to contact an SB 1437 lawyer in Fullerton CA for a free legal consultation by calling Chambers Law Firm at 855-397-0210. You can also read on for more details.
If None of This is True You May Be Eligible for Resentencing
In the event that none of the four following facts are true of the person who has been previously sentenced under felony murder law, then they would no longer qualify under said law:
- They actually killed a person.
- They acted with intent to kill. For example, they helped or encouraged the killer.
- They were a major participant in the crime and acted with reckless indifference to human life.
- The murder victim was an on-duty police officer and the defendant knew (or reasonably should have known) that they were a police officer.
Note that there is still much that is unknown about how the courts will read and apply this law. For example, what will they consider “major participation” in the crime? We assume this will include things such as supplying weapons for the crime, taking part in planning of the crime, and being aware of significant details. However, it is too early to know the full application of this law. This is one of the reasons to contact an SB 1437 lawyer in Fullerton CA for specific help with your specific case.
There Are Three Reasons it is Hard to Predict the Long-Term Effect of SB 1437
Many people ask us: Just how many people will be freed or see significant sentence reductions due to this change in the law? The answer is that it depends. We are looking at three different reasons that making a prediction is hard:
- We do not know how many people will reach out to an SB 1437 lawyer in Fullerton CA to put the process in motion.
- We do not know how many people have been sentenced under felony murder law in California due to the lack of detailed records.
- We do not know how the courts will decide on certain aspects of these cases because the law is so new.
All of this points to one reality: You should call for help and advice sooner rather than later. It is our hope that everyone who is eligible will apply to have their sentence adjusted but this is unlikely.
Today is the Day to Request a Free Initial Consultation from an SB 1437 Lawyer in Fullerton CA
There is no reason to wait to find out if you or your loved on qualifies for resentencing. Getting the answers you need is as simple as contacting Chambers Law Firm at 855-397-0210 for a free initial consultation. We can assess the case in question and offer our best advice on the best way to move forward. Call right now to get the process started.