Can an SB 1437 Lawyer in Santa Ana CA Help You?
California SB 1437 dramatically changes the ways in which a person can be sentenced via the felony murder rule. Those who have been sentenced according to this rule often wonder: Do I have options? The answer depends on the specifics of your case. Yes, some convictions can allow for resentencing but only those that qualify. The best way to find out for sure which answer applies to your case is to contact an SB 1437 lawyer in Santa Ana CA by calling Chambers Law Firm at 855-397-0210 for a free legal consultation.
A Person Must Fit into One of These Three Categories to Be Eligible
It is not true that 100% of people who were sentenced with felony murder rule guidelines are eligible to have their sentences adjusted. Instead, only certain clients are eligible, including these categories:
- If the client was convicted under the first-degree felony murder rule then they must not have killed, intended to kill, or acted as a major participant in the felony with reckless indifference to human life.
- If the client was convicted as an accomplish to a “target” crime under the second-degree felony murder they cannot have killed or acted with malice in the killing.
- The client was convicted of second-degree murder.
If you believe that you or your loved one is covered by these three options then we welcome your call to Chambers Law Firm at 855-397-0210 for a free initial consultation. If you are not sure if they fit into these three categories then we recommend you call us or your previous counsel, or that you get accesso the jury instructions the judge gave out.
There Are Three Reasons it is Hard to Predict the Long-Term Effect of SB 1437
Many people ask us: Just how many people will be freed or see significant sentence reductions due to this change in the law? The answer is that it depends. We are looking at three different reasons that making a prediction is hard:
- We do not know how many people will reach out to an SB 1437 lawyer in Santa Ana CA to put the process in motion.
- We do not know how many people have been sentenced under felony murder law in California due to the lack of detailed records.
- We do not know how the courts will decide on certain aspects of these cases because the law is so new.
All of this points to one reality: You should call for help and advice sooner rather than later. It is our hope that everyone who is eligible will apply to have their sentence adjusted but this is unlikely.
Do Not Wait: Get a Free Consultation from an SB 1437 Lawyer in Santa Ana CA
The plain truth is that there is no reason to waste time. Contact an attorney today and find out if your case qualifies for a sentence reduction. You can always reach out to Chambers Law Firm at 855-397-0210 for more information on your particular case. We are happy to offer a free initial consultation.