You Need a Federal Cyber Crimes Defense Attorney with Expertise in This Field
Computer crime, sometimes known as “cybercrime,” is a broad spectrum of offenses. While many cybercrime crimes are basically high-tech forms of theft or fraud, others, such as child abuse or drug trafficking, have aims other than financial gain.
Some countries have expanded their anti-harassment and stalking laws to encompass online harassment and stalking. Cybercrime, often known as “cyberattacks,” appears to be aimed only at disrupting or destroying computer networks.
Commonly Charged Federal Cyber Crimes
There are federal task teams dedicated to punishing those who have engaged in cybercrimes. The following are examples of common cybercrime:
- Child Pornography Offenses and Internet or Computer Sex Crimes. Some types of online pornography, such as downloading and sharing child pornography, are cybercrimes. These sorts of offenses are usually met with harsh punishments.
- Theft and Deception. Some forms of theft are classified as cybercrimes, such as when someone utilizes the internet or a computer to deceive for financial benefit. There are also many online frauds, such as auction fraud, credit card fraud, and internet auction fraud, among others.
- Drug Crimes on the Internet. Internet pharmacies, analog drug importation, Dark Web drug delivery, and mailing prohibited substances are all examples of internet drug offenses.
A computer or a computer network may be used as a target (rather than a tool) in some cybercrime situations. A computer virus, for example, may be employed in a targeted assault or unleashed over the internet to cause havoc.
Sex-Related Cyber Crimes
The internet is used for many different forms of pornography and sex-related crimes, including:
- Possession of child pornography
- Dissemination of child pornography
- Creating child pornography
- Request for information (using the internet to advertise a prostitute or responding to the services of a prostitute)
- Minor’s solicitation (using the internet to lure a minor to a meeting with the intention of sexual activity)
- Lewdness on the internet (subjecting a minor to verbal or graphic sexual content through the internet)
- Sex trafficking
These are far from the only sex-related cybercrimes, but they are some of the most common.
Theft and Fraud Cyber Crimes
There are many cyber crimes involving theft. Some of the most common include:
- Breaking into business or personal computer networks, including servers, desktop computers, laptops, and mobile devices
- Identity theft
- Bank fraud
- Wire fraud
- Credit card fraud
- Other fraudulent schemes that benefit from hacking a network with a virus and then exploiting the information gained from these devices
Similarly, fraud-related cybercrime charges might be based on emails sent or received, as well as wire transfers made online.
Drug Cyber Crimes
Profitable drug trafficking has grown considerably more complex than selling narcotics on the street corner, thanks to the internet’s growth and now the Dark Web. Charges may include the following:
- Illegal controlled substance prescription sales and shipments to buyers without a physician’s examination (drug diversion)
- Selling or purchasing counterfeit and synthetic drugs (K-2 or Spice)
- Illegally marketing or selling prescription drugs intended for animals but sold for humans (i.e., steroids)
- Drug shippers, mailers, or others involved in illegally receiving and reshipping controlled substance prescriptions
Cyberattacks often Qualify as Cyber Crimes
A distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) assault is a type of cyberattack that aims to disrupt or disable a server, making it unavailable to other users. This is frequently accomplished by flooding a server, forcing it to lose network connectivity.
Contact Chambers Law Firm for Help Fighting Cyber Crime Accusations
If you have been accused of or charged with a federal cybercrime, it is essential to contact Chambers Law Firm at 714-760-4088 as soon as possible. We are standing by to provide a free legal consultation so that you can find the best way forward. Call now.