What Are Your Options? Ask an SB 1437 Lawyer in Long Beach CA
If you have heard of the recent changes to the felony murder law in California, and you or a loved one has been convicted and sentenced according to it, then you may wonder: What are your options? The best way to get a direct answer to your specific questions is to contact an SB 1437 lawyer in Long Beach CA for a free legal consultation by calling Chambers Law Firm at 714-760-4088. You can also read on for more details.
A Person Must Fit into One of These Three Categories to Be Eligible
It is not true that 100% of people who were sentenced with felony murder rule guidelines are eligible to have their sentences adjusted. Instead, only certain clients are eligible, including these categories:
- If the client was convicted under the first-degree felony murder rule then they must not have killed, intended to kill, or acted as a major participant in the felony with reckless indifference to human life.
- If the client was convicted as an accomplish to a “target” crime under the second-degree felony murder they cannot have killed or acted with malice in the killing.
- The client was convicted of second-degree murder.
If you believe that you or your loved one is covered by these three options then we welcome your call to Chambers Law Firm at 714-760-4088 for a free initial consultation. If you are not sure if they fit into these three categories then we recommend you call us or your previous counsel, or that you get accesso the jury instructions the judge gave out.
There Are Three Reasons it is Hard to Predict the Long-Term Effect of SB 1437
Many people ask us: Just how many people will be freed or see significant sentence reductions due to this change in the law? The answer is that it depends. We are looking at three different reasons that making a prediction is hard:
- We do not know how many people will reach out to an SB 1437 lawyer in Long Beach CA to put the process in motion.
- We do not know how many people have been sentenced under felony murder law in California due to the lack of detailed records.
- We do not know how the courts will decide on certain aspects of these cases because the law is so new.
All of this points to one reality: You should call for help and advice sooner rather than later. It is our hope that everyone who is eligible will apply to have their sentence adjusted but this is unlikely.
Do Not Hesitate to Call an SB 1437 Lawyer in Long Beach CA
If you believe that your case or the case of a loved one may be affected by the changes to the felony murder law then there is no time to spare. The sentence will not be automatically reduced – you must apply for it. Even then, several steps need to be taken before you will be successful. Contact Chambers Law Firm at 714-760-4088 right now for a free legal consultation to learn more about your options.