Can an SB 1437 Lawyer in Visalia CA Help You?
California SB 1437 dramatically changes the ways in which a person can be sentenced via the felony murder rule. Those who have been sentenced according to this rule often wonder: Do I have options? The answer depends on the specifics of your case. Yes, some convictions can allow for resentencing but only those that qualify. The best way to find out for sure which answer applies to your case is to contact an SB 1437 lawyer in Visalia CA by calling Chambers Law Firm at 714-760-4088 for a free legal consultation.
There Are Now Four Criteria for Application of Felony Murder
Today, four criteria must be met for a person to be sentenced in accordance with the felony murder law. The person must be found guilty of one of the following:
- Actually killing a person.
- Acting with intent to kill. For example, helping or encouraging the killer.
- Being a major participant in the crime and acting with reckless indifference to human life.
- Being involved in a case in which the murder victim was an on-duty police officer and the defendant knew (or reasonably should have known) that they were a police officer.
One of the most significant aspects of this new criteria is that it is being applied retroactively. This means that a person arrested, convicted, and sentenced under previous murder felony rules could have their sentence reduced if it does not meet any of the four criteria described above. They should reach out to an SB 1437 lawyer in Visalia CA right away.
There Are Three Reasons it is Hard to Predict the Long-Term Effect of SB 1437
Many people ask us: Just how many people will be freed or see significant sentence reductions due to this change in the law? The answer is that it depends. We are looking at three different reasons that making a prediction is hard:
- We do not know how many people will reach out to an SB 1437 lawyer in Visalia CA to put the process in motion.
- We do not know how many people have been sentenced under felony murder law in California due to the lack of detailed records.
- We do not know how the courts will decide on certain aspects of these cases because the law is so new.
All of this points to one reality: You should call for help and advice sooner rather than later. It is our hope that everyone who is eligible will apply to have their sentence adjusted but this is unlikely.
Today is the Day to Request a Free Initial Consultation from an SB 1437 Lawyer in Visalia CA
There is no reason to wait to find out if you or your loved on qualifies for resentencing. Getting the answers you need is as simple as contacting Chambers Law Firm at 714-760-4088 for a free initial consultation. We can assess the case in question and offer our best advice on the best way to move forward. Call right now to get the process started.